Saturday, December 26, 2009

Twenty Three: Castles and Palaces

Castles and Palaces
So one of the things I truly adore about Europe is the presence of Castles
and Palaces! We simply do not have these at home... and it is SO much
fun explore the outrageous grandeur! Bavaria is particularly castle
filled, especially with King Ludwig II's fairy-tale Castles. The one
pictured above is the second of those I have seen- the first was
Neuschwansien, if you'll remember. This one is modeled after Versaille
and is meant to be a tribute and monument to the Sun King of France.
Like Neuschwanstien, this palace was never quite completed as Ludwig
ran out of money... and mysteriously died. He also only lived in the
completed part for about ten days. It was truly spectacular though; the
Hall of Mirrors was just as impressive as Versailles, and actually it's
bigger by ten feet or so. It was also cool to experience all the copied
rooms and stuff with only a couple of people, as opposed to the hoards
of people blocking my views in Versailles. In any event, I love the
Castles and Palaces here. OH! And it's really cool because there are so
many, people actually live in many of them still! Typically not the
entire castle for a single private family... but WOW! I think I could
do that! I would be an excellent Castle Resident.

No comments:

Post a Comment