Monday, June 17, 2013

BERMUDA: Ferry Reach aka Fairy Reach and Hamliton

SUNDAY

Sunday Lama and I were up bright and early to meet her friend for a 9 mile run.  Casual.  His name is Tiago, which I remember by thinking of the parrot from Aladdin.  It was beautiful weather for a run, and they ran at a nice pace.  So I chugged along to keep up.  It was fun to talk to him about his impression of Bermuda and it was a lovely route.  



Highlights: Lama walking into a random gas station to ask for water & going into the ocean to cool off but actually ice my knees cause the water is frigid and not really warm. At all.  

Then we ran off to church-love a little palm sunday Jesus.  After zipping back to casadelama, we met up with a big group of her friends for SUNDAY-FUNDAY! We bagged the original nature walk, and instead decided to go to Ferry Reach (which I thought was Fairy Reach... I find the difference in names to be a let down). But before our hike, a drink was clearly required.  We headed over to the Swizzle Inn for Swizzles--the motto is “Swizzle Inn... Swagger out.”  A Swizzle is, of course, a Bermudian classic featuring Rum and various juices including pineapple and orange.  They’re deceptively strong. 


 Ferry Reach was a lot of fun.  It rained essentially all day... not the tropical paradise I was anticipating.  However, umbrellas (borrowed) in tow we scampered all around Ferry Reach.  We saw some BIG clown fish and a man of war jelly fish.  Lama offered to pee on me if I got stung... what a kind friend.  Thankfully, that did NOT need to happen.  It was just simply a stunning hike, and I enjoyed the exploration!






MONDAY

Monday morning Lama and I headed into Hamilton, which is where she works.  I was given a tour of her building by her friend in the maintenance department. Checked out the CEO’s office, went on the decks, everywhere! It was really cool.  Then I was sent on my merry way to explore Hamilton.  Sofia gave me some directives as to what I MUST visit (ex: museums in
the town hall) but mostly I just checked things out.  I walked through Par la Ville Park, which some website told me was a must see, but turned out only to be a pleasant park.  Nothing special... expect that there were chickens just... cruising around.  No one else thought that was weird.  Lama got off of work at noon, and that’s when we really got to work.  

That afternoon we: went to Fort St. Hamilton, climbed to the top of the church tower, went the the aquarium/zoo, went to Sofia’s favorite spot of the island (which is this massive tunnel/archway), and went to an arboretum.  We saw so much but were really goofy during the whole time.  Like... I climbed all over a cannon... and climbed on top of a wall, and looked ridiculous. Wait. It seems that Sofia tricked me into doing silly things while looking elegant and classy herself.  Suspicious.






No comments:

Post a Comment