Monday, June 17, 2013

BERMUDA: The Booze Cruise

THURSDAY

Thursday.... started out really mellow.  Lama was working a full-day and was going to meet at the “Royal Bermuda Yacht Club” for lunch.  But first, she sent me back to Dockyard on the ferry.  She was insistent I be on the water at least once. It was nice to explore on my own, but mostly I cruised over and cruised back.  Then I camped out on the ACE patio and read, and enjoyed the last of the warm sunshine before returning to the cold and snowy midwest.

I headed over to the yacht club (real casually, like it was normal) to meet Sofia.  It turns out she had some big work emergency and ended up sending her friend, Cooper, to lunch with me instead.  He was a nice guy, and an interesting lunch companion as he’s a reporter in Bermuda. It was there that I ate my last Bermudian specialty: fish chowder.  It was.... fishy.  But good.  I wouldn’t eat it again, but I don’t exactly regret it.

After sunning myself a little more (In jeans and a sweater-it was unnecessarily not-warm!!!), I met Lamaste at the end of her work day.  We ran over to the jewelry store where we got this fun Bermuda sand rings.  We got the same one, so they’re BFF rings.  I’ve been wearing mine a lot! It’s a fun reminder of the excellent times we’ve had.

We picked up a delightfully light dinner, and returned to her house to change for the evening.  We then embarked on a booze cruise.  And THAT’S when things got crazy.

Some highlights from the evening: I made a bunch of new friends.  We brought the captain and first mate beers--which they drank.  I literally drove the boat.  I happily bopped around on the roof deck of the boat.  I drank more than I should have.  And basically had a fantastic evenings.  

Things I learned: a chiffon dress does not handle moisture well.  Don’t borrow Sofia’s coat because you will lose it and feel very guilty. Telling me that you went to law school in South Africa  (cool) and then telling me you decided to instead work on a yacht because being a lawyer was too hard (dumb) is not going to make me want to continue speaking with you. 

After the booze cruise, we continued the evening on main street Hamilton where we ran into more of Sofia's friends.   We basically had an uproariously good time and made it home safely.  Bermudians... they know how to party.

No comments:

Post a Comment