Sunday, September 27, 2009

Munich & Oktoberfest


The past week has been incredibly hectic as we returned from Berlin and Riga and started our classes. My professors are all really interesting and I like the topics of my classes... but I'm working my tail off. This may possibly be a good thing.

Friday morning at the crack of dawn (4:40am) about 7 of us went to Oktoberfest in Munich! Or München if you're German. It was amazing. People were so funny. I would say that about half of the crowd was wearing lederhosen and Drindls. I had always assumed that Oktoberfest was simply a beer festival but oh no. It's sort of like the Renaissance Festival and the State Fair mixed together. So the there are probably 10 tents or so, and each tent holds up to 8,000 people or so. And the tents are ridiculous. We got there at 11am, and people were already drinking heavily. The first tent we were in someone would stand up with a full liter, the entire tent would go CRAZY and the person would chug the entire liter. That's impressive... and
an expensive 30 seconds or so. I obviously didn't partake in that! Two throughout the day was just fine for me! I did have a gigantic pretzel with my beer and a lot of delcious almonds with sugary coatings. Oh soo good. About halfway through the day I was exhausted and wanted to see the Glockenspiel so I convinced some people to go with me and we watched it chime. It was AWESOME! We took a nap (cause at 4 we'd already been awake for 12 hours, and had another 11 hours till our train left to go home) and then headed back to the festival grounds. We met back up with the rest of our group, who b had had lots of beer in our absence. We took a
memorable ride on the ferris wheel where we could see SO far! It was cool. I included a picture from the top so you can get a better idea. Seriously! Oktoberfest was crazy! So on the left side of the picture you can see three of the beer tents- they're HUGE. And you can see tons of people who were, at this point very very drunk. We ended up leaving Oktoberfest for dinner because you have to have a reservation to be in a tent past 4, and real food is very expensive. Then we made our way to the train station which was jumping cause that's where everyone left when Oktoberfest closed. I took a disgusting 2 hour nap on the floor, and we just wasted time till our 3am train left. We got back to Freiburg at 9:00 am. It was a really really long day, but I had a lot of fun.

Mom comes on tuesday, and I'm excited! She's going to hang out here with me, and then on friday we're going to have some type of adventure! We're going to have SO much fun!!

It's time I stop procrastinating and go back to my homework! I'm trying to get ahead so that I don't have a lot of work when mom's here!!

Tschüss!

1 comment:

  1. Oktoberfest sounds crazy! I read your's and Allyson's blogs of it you both found it to be different than you expected. Sounds super fun though! You are having lots of adventures and I'm living vicariously through you! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete