Sunday, October 24, 2010

Fall Break!

This fall break was the best I've ever had. 

I left late thursday night and caught a red eye to NEW YORK CITY!! It was my first time to visit NYC so I was very excited about it, but also nervous. I mean, what if it didn't live up to my expectations!?

Day!
My first day, after  quick tour of Columbia, Miah and I headed straight to Times Square! It was every bit the hustling bustling center I hoped it to be. I was surprised by how small the New Years ball is. I guess I expected it to be bigger, which is funny cause I've always seen the zoomed in view on tv... if I'd really thought about it I would have known it to be smaller. We had such a great time wandering around. I was over excited to walk through the M&M store, and then Miah took me over to the Library for a walk through. I really enjoyed it, and it was a little flashback to my fall in Europe. You know, it was grandiose, and a little over the top. I loved it.

Night!
We then headed back to Morning-side so that I could take a much needed nap. Miah and I had big plans for a Broadway show, but I could barely keep my eyes open at 1pm. Weird that 5 hours of intermittent airplane sleep wouldn't be enough... haha. Anyway. That was excellent. We then headed back to Times Square to get some broadway tickets. We snagged some tickets to West Side Story, which were expensive even though they were half off. Well... expensive for a college student. I'd never seen it before, well other than the movie, so I was very very excited. We studied it in my broadway musical class, so I was working hard to remember everything. I could only drum up a could of facts, so I guess I'll have to be patient till Christmas and get out my notebook. The musical was very well done. The dancing was just fabulous. I was shocked when Anita got raped, cause I had not idea that happened. I guess it makes more sense now... I always thought it was overly dramatic that Anita says Maria isn't coming after they push her around a little. After I got over that shock, I really enjoyed the show. It was great! I was very pleased with our selection. We walked around for a little bit, but not too long cause I was very very cold. I was amazed by how bright Times Square was at night. The sun was certainly down, but it was still so bright!





Trump Tower
Grand Central Station
The next morning, Miah and I headed to one of his favorite bars that has 25 cent wings on Saturdays. I absolutely am obsessed with wings so I was all about it. They were amazing, and even though I wasn't in Buffalo, I really liked eating them at least closer to their founding. (Oh wait... NEW LIFE GOAL: Eat Buffalo Wings in Buffalo, NY). We then walked around Columbia a little more and stopped by a Cathedral, which was fun. I miss cathedrals in my life, though it was a shock to exit onto a busy street instead of the MunsterMarkt. Then we visited Grant's tomb. I now FINALLY get the joke! Who's buried in Grant's tomb? Grant AND his wife. heh heh heh. Clever, clever. After another nap, we spent the evening crossing off things on my list of must sees.  We went to Grand Central Station, Trump Towers, and Rockafeller Center (rink and all). One of the big things on my list was to play on the gigantic piano in FAO Schwartz. It was such a great store, I'm obsessed. Unfortunately they were closing, so I didn't get to play on it. Guess I have to go back!! That night we went out with some of Miah's friends, and made it to a jazz bar! Pretty cool, but the best part was that we took a taxi to and from!

Sunday was a relaxed day. Slept in late, and the Miah had lost of homework too. So i got to pretend I was a student at Columbia for a day. I really wish I could be, but that ship sailed the fall of my freshman year. Ohhh well. At least I got some work on a paper completed. That was good. Then we headed to Central Park! We'd walked by before, but it was always dark before and I didn't want to die. So I was THRILLED to finally get to go inside. We went in through sheeps garden pasture or something. I don't remember, but it was fun. I really really really liked central park. We stood and listened to some music, and then some comedians who reminded me a little bit of something in the renaissance festival. But not renaissance at all. Hmm. That's a poor description right there! Then we walked down to the water by the Boathouse, which was of course beautiful. We ended up sitting under a tree on a hill looking over a bridge. Then it was dark so we walked out of the park past Yoko Ono's flat, and by Strawberry Fields. Embarrassing, but I was really hoping for strawberries. We caught a quick, and yummy, dinner at Gray's Papaya. It was, of course delicious. We got some dessert at Pink Berry, which is apparently everywhere but WA and the mid-west. So delicious, so healthy.




Lady Liberty
Greta & Adam
Monday I went on my own adventures while Miah was in class. I headed to Fordham University for my first law school visit. I really enjoyed it and am both excited for and am dreading my school search. I then met up with Greta Hanson who was visiting her boyfriend at NYU. We had a nice lunch and then adventures around Wall Street. We were trying to go to this coffee shop where BIG apparently goes all the time, but we couldn't find it. And then he was spotted heading there, and we weren't there and it's all very heartbreaking. Sortof. I was excited to see the NYSE and Tiffanys. We also walked through a reaaaally old cemetery (which Greta was pumped about) and walked past Ground Zero. That was a little chilling since it's just a huge whole in a city that has every inch filled. The memorial looks like it should be pretty neat. Then the two of us walked down to Battery Park and creeped on the Statue of Liberty. I do wish that I had gone to Ellis Island, but the water was super choppy as it was an extremely windy day. I'm alright with my decision not to. The the boys met up wit us for a quick dinner. We all walked over to China Town for dinner. I found the experience to be a little overwhelming. Unfortunately I was unclear as to what China Town is about, so I didn't get myself any cheap copies of anything. Or anything that OOPS! fell off the truck. We had a... vietnamese? dinner that was alright. I love Pho, but I wasn't ready for the lungs and stuff in it. I like my plain old beef kind. I'm a little pathetic. It was a fun evening though. 




Tuesday was a bittersweet day. I really liked the city, and there were a lot of thing I wanted to do but didn't get to. Like sit on the Met's steps, or seeing Starry Night at the MoMA.  We had a nice lunch, and then hung out on Columbia's campus till Miah had class. I ate... AN APPLE IN THE BIG APPLE!! Yessss. And then I hung out while Miah was in class, generally pretending as though I belonged there. Afterwards we each got a HUGE piece of delicious greasy NY cheese pizza. It was to die for, and I ate more of it than Miah. I consider that a great success. We ate them overlooking Riverside Park, where we fed some crazy bird bread and pitted them against one another. Awesome.

It was an absolutely amazing trip. I was so happy the entire time and had a blast. I cannot wait to go back. And who knows, maybe I'll be there for school next year! How great would that be!?

No comments:

Post a Comment